Compare AKC vs Healthy Paws Plans
AKC and Healthy Paws are two of the best pet insurance companies in America.
|Price:||Get a Quote||Get a Quote|
|Deductible:||$100 - $1,000||$100 - $500|
|Reimbursement:||80%||70% - 100%|
|Annual Limit:||$1,500 - $10,000||None|
|Company Profile:||Company Overview||Company Overview|
|Waiting Period for Accidents:||3 days||15 days|
|Waiting Period for Illnesses:||14 days||15 days|
|Waiting Period for Orthopedic Coverage:||14 days||12 months *|
AKC Enrollment Requirements
- Minimum age: 8 weeks old for puppies
- Minimum age: 10 weeks for kittens
- Maximum age: Pet must be less than 9 years old to at time of enrollment in order to be eligible for accident and illness coverage
- Pets of any age can enroll in AKC’s Accident Only Plan
Healthy Paws Enrollment Requirements
- 12 month waiting period for hip dysplasia *
- Must be enrolled before 6 for hip dysplasia coverage
- Minimum age: 8 weeks
- Maximum age: 14 years
- A pet less than 6 years old on the date of enrollment must have undergone a complete clinical examination and the exam must have taken place either in the 12 months prior to the pet policy effective date or within 15 days following the pet policy effective date
- A pet 6 years old or greater on the date of enrollment must have undergone a complete clinical examination within 30 days prior to the pet policy effective date or within 15 days following the pet policy effective date
AKC Pet Insurance and Healthy Paws are both excellent options when considering coverage for your dog or cat. It really depends on what type of coverage you are looking for.
AKC offers an optional rider (insurance speak for coverage add-on) that pays for exam fees, whereas Healthy Paws does not cover exam fees. AKC Pet Insurance also offers wellness coverage to cover your annual preventative and routine care treatments. AKC also does not have an extra waiting period for hip dysplasia.
Learn More: AKC Pet Insurance Profile
Healthy Paws Highlights
Healthy Paws on the other hand, does not have as many coverage options but their one plan covers all costs associated with accidents and illnesses (with the exception of exam fees). AKC excludes IVDD coverage and Healthy Paws does not.
Learn More: Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Profile
Each provider is different and unique in their own way. That is why we encourage you to get quotes from both and compare prices and coverage options before you enroll!