Get FREE Quotes!
Embrace Pet Insurance
|Pets Enrolled Past 12 Months||2,323|
|Major Medical Coverage||✔|
✓: Included O: Optional X: Excluded
Whether you have a dog or cat, Embrace Pet Insurance is an excellent choice. Embrace offers accident, illnesses and optional wellness coverage for routine care. Embrace also allows you to customize your plan to meet your needs and budget.
Embrace operates pet insurance with several brands as well. Here is a list of companies Embrace provides plans for:
- Allstate Pet Insurance
- American Modern Pet Insurance
- Armed Forces Pet Insurance
- BBVA Pet Insurance
- Cabela's Pet Insurance
- First Citizens Insurance Services
- Geico Pet Insurance
- USAA Pet Insurance
Overall Rating: ★★★★★
Embrace is arguably the best combination of customization, coverage and customer service. Founded based on the principles of modern insurance, Embrace gives you 100% flexibility and you can enroll and file claims online.
Learn More: Pet Insurance Scores
Category Rating: ★★★★★
If you're looking for excellent accident, illness with optional wellness coverage then Embrace is an excellent choice. Here is a list of attributes and ratings for Embrace's coverage.
Accident and Illness Coverage
Embrace offers excellent accident and illness coverage for dogs and cat. One unique aspect of Embrace's coverage is that you can fully customize a plan that meets your needs and budget. Here's a quick overview of policy details to give you an idea of what to expect when building your custom Embrace policy.
|Annual Limits||$5,000 to $15,000|
|Deductible Options||$200 to $2,000
|Reimbursement Options||70%, 80%, 90%
|Minimum Age for Coverage||6 weeks-old
|Maximum Age for Coverage||14 years-old *
|Waiting Period Injuries||14 days|
|Waiting Period Illnesses||14 days|
|Orthopedic Waiting Period||6 months **|
|Policy Exclusions||Listed Below
- * Must be enrolled prior to 8 years old for mixed breed dogs, 6 years old for purebred dogs, 10 years old for mixed breed cats and 8 years old for purebred cats
- ** Canine Orthopedic Examination Report Card can reduce Orthopedic Waiting Period to 14 days
Your Pet must have been examined by a Veterinarian in the twelve (12) months prior to the Original Start Date for your Pet(s) as shown on the Schedule Page(s) or within fourteen (14) days after the Original Start Date. The examining Veterinarian cannot be you or be related to you.
Behavioral Conditions - Embrace does cover the medical treatment of behavioral issues as long as your dog or cat didn't show clinical signs of the condition before the end of the waiting period. However preventative care and veterinary exam fees are included in our wellness rewards program.
Pre-Certification - To avoid Coverage surprises you can complete a pre-certification form and submit to Embrace before your veterinary provider orders or performs any of the following procedures.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan
- Computer-aided tomography (CT) scan
- Partial or complete hip replacement
- Cruciate ligament repair
- Surgery for dental Injury
- Home visits because your Pet is unable to travel to the usual location of the Veterinarian
- Any other Treatment(s) in which the anticipated costs are expected to exceed $1,000
- Embrace can cancel immediately over the phone with no penalty
- Claims must be submitted within the policy year plus 60 days
- They have a defined appeal process for claims
- Reimbursement Method - Deductible then copay
Accident Only Coverage
For older pets that don’t meet age restrictions and for pets that have had chronic illnesses that are considered pre-existing conditions.
Embrace Wellness Overview
Embrace is the only pet insurance company that offers wellness plans with no restrictions or limits on how much you can spend for specific care.
In other words you can spend $200 or $400 on any veterinary care you like including:
- Routine Care - wellness exams, vaccinations, flea, tick, and heartworm medications
- Preventive Surgery - spaying/neutering
- Dental Services - teeth cleanings, crowns, fillings, root canals
- Prescription Diet Food
- OFA & PennHIP Exams
There is also no deductible, no co-pay and no waiting period with Embrace's wellness plans.
- 100% coverage up to wellness rewards plan maximum
- Pays for trips to the vet including annual checkups and routine care
Three Levels of Coverage to Choose From
- $250 allowance per year
- $450 allowance per year
- $600 allowance per year
Annual Cost of Treatment
Embrace did an analysis of how much routine veterinary care costs for puppies, dogs, kittens and cats. Estimates for puppies and kittens include the cost of spaying and neutering.
- Puppy: $700 in the first year
- Kitten: $450 in the first year
- Adult Dog: $350/year
- Adult Cat: $250/year
Learn More: Compare Pet Wellness Plans
Category Rating: ★★★★
Embrace is very competitive but more expensive than other companies in the market on an apples-to-apples comparison.
If you select Embrace's highest annual limit ($15,000) with a 90% reimbursement and $200 deductible their accident & illness plan is very expensive.
Embrace charges a 5% monthly fee if you use a credit card for payment
Accident and Illness Costs
Here is a sample of dog insurance costs for Embrace's accident and illness policy.
|Top 10 Dog Breeds||Cost *|
|Mixed Breed Dog||$54/mo.|
|Average for All Dogs||$62/mo.|
* Accident & illness coverage for a 3 year-old, mixed breed dog
And if you're more of a cat person here is a sample of cat insurance costs for the top 10 most popular cat breeds in America.
|Top 10 Cat Breeds||Cost *|
|Mixed Breed Cat||$46/mo.|
|Average for All Cats||$42/mo.|
* Accident & illness coverage for a 3 year-old, mixed breed cat
Wellness Care Costs
Here are the costs to add wellness care coverage to your accident and illness plan.
Learn More: Pet Insurance Cost
Category Rating: ★★★★★
Customer Satisfaction: 92%
Total Reviews: 10,380
Embrace is one of the most trusted companies, which is illustrated by a customer satisfaction rating of 92%. Here is a summary of Embrace's customer satisfaction ratings.
|Ease of Enrollment||★★★★★|
"Saved over $4,300 on Magruff's Hip Surgery"
"We bought insurance for Magruff in 2010 after our friends urged us to consider it, and thank goodness they did! Gruffers unexpectedly needed hip replacement surgery that ended up costing $5,200. We're both medical sales reps but we had no idea how sophisticated veterinary care was. We also had no idea how expensive treatment could be..."
Lou & Kim
Pictured: Magruff after successful hip surgery
Related Content: Embrace Insurance Reviews
Category Rating: ★★★★★
Embrace was founded in 2003 by Laura Bennett and Alex Krooglik, who were part of the team at Wharton Business School who won the Business Plan Competition. Laura and Alex left corporate insurance careers to start a company that would help bring credibility to pet insurance.
Twelve years later Embrace is still headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio but their offices have changed as the company continues rapid growth. One of the highest rated pet insurance companies, Embrace has strategic partnerships with TICA, Cabela's, Geico and Dr. Marty Booker.
Related Content: Best Pet Insurance
|Underwriter||American Modern Insurance Group (A+)
|Leadership||Laura Bennett, Alex Krooglik|
|Claims Reimbursement||No great than 15 days|
|Vet Policy||Any licensed U.S. veterinarian|
|Service Hours||M-F 8:30a-8p + Sat 9a-1p EST|
|Trial Offer||2 months|
Fun Fact: Co-founders Laura Bennett and Alex Krooglik were part of a team that won the Business Plan Competition at Wharton Business School!
List of Exclusions
- Pre-existing Conditions - Means a Chronic Condition observed by you or your Veterinary Provider prior to the end of the Waiting Period for your Pet(s) and any related conditions; or an Illness or Injury that first occurred or showed Clinical Signs prior to the end of the Waiting Period for your Pet and any related conditions. Undiagnosed conditions with the same Clinical Signs as those in a. or b. above are also considered pre-existing.
- Bilateral Conditions - Condition or disease that affects both sides of the body
- Cancer diagnosed or treated prior to the end of the waiting period will exclude coverage for any form of Cancer
- If a Pet has been diagnosed or treated for hyperthyroidism prior to the end of the Waiting Period, any hyperthyroidism Treatments and Medications are not covered, as well as any kidney, heart, and high blood pressure conditions that may develop.
- If your Pet showed Clinical Signs of any Dermatological Condition prior to the end of the Waiting Period, your Pet must be free of any Dermatological Conditions for twelve (12) consecutive months before any Dermatological Conditions may be covered again.
- If your Pet has been treated for undiagnosed vomiting and/or diarrhea prior to the end of your Pet’s Waiting Period, your Pet must be free of conditions with the same Clinical Signs for twelve (12) consecutive months before any conditions with the same Clinical Signs may be covered again.
- Preventative care
- Treatments for Accidents or Illnesses arising from any Pre-existing behavioral problems
- More than one (1) removal of an ingested foreign body in one (1) period of insurance
- Treatment for an Illness related to the teeth and/or gums including Orthodontic Treatment
- Any administration fees charged by a Veterinary Provider
- Costs for any Treatment for:
- Prosthetic limbs and devices;
- Organ transplants;
- Genetic/chromosome testing;
- Procedures to determine the suitability or categorization of your Pet for breeding or genealogical purposes, including PennHIP and OFA evaluations;
- Costs resulting from breeding, pregnancy, whelping or queening;
- Avian, swine, or any other type of influenza or any mutant variation;
- Epidemics or pandemics as declared by the U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Prescription Medication that is not directly administered by a Veterinary Provider (e.g. take-home drugs). This exclusion does not apply to policies with the optional Prescription Drug Coverage (You can add Prescription Drug Coverage)
- Pet Insurance Companies
- Embrace vs. ASPCA
- Embrace vs. Figo Pet Insurance
- Embrace vs. Healthy Paws
- Embrace vs. Nationwide
- Embrace vs. Petplan
- Embrace vs. Pets Best
- Embrace vs. Trupanion
Pet Insurance Providers and Reviews
Find Pet Insurance Locally
Breed Specific Medical Issues
Common Pet Health Problems
- Kidney Problems In Dogs
- Spondylosis Deformans
- Masticatory Myositis
- Cerebellar Hypoplasia Cat
- Degenerative Myelopathy In Dogs
- Hepatic Encephalopathy In Dogs
- Fanconi Syndrome Dogs
Get FREE Quotes!
We’ve generated over 1 million quotes and sold thousands of plans.
“We submitted over $4k in claims to Healthy Paws and in less than 2 weeks we were reimbursed. So amazing!!!” - Brandon
Pet Insurance Reviews
Why Use Us?
- Compare all 12 companies
- Save 25% by comparing rates
- Fast, free and 100% independent
Pet insurance pays up to 90% for veterinary treatment when your dog or cat gets sick or injured.