Pet Insurance 101
Did You Know?
1 in 3 pets per year will need emergency care for an accident or illness. (source)
What is Pet Insurance?
Pet insurance is health insurance for dogs and cats. It covers up to 90% of all your vet bills for unexpected illnesses and accidents.
Veterinary care can cost thousands of dollars if your pet gets sick or injured.
Emergency care, surgery and medications are extremely expensive these days.
Pet health insurance takes the emotional and financial worry out of being a pet parent!
1. Accident & Illness
These plans are by far the most popular, accounting for 98% of all pet insurance policies sold.
Accident and illness plans cover any and all treatment for major, unexpected health issues that arise.
These plans provide the best value because they can save you thousands if your pet ever gets sick or injured.
2. Wellness Care
These plans are gaining in popularity and can be added to a standard accident & illness plan.
Wellness plans are designed to cover preventative care expenses like vaccinations, spay/neuter and annual exams.
These plans can be a nice addition if you regularly take your pet to the vet for check-ups.
Here are some interesting facts about veterinary care and pet insurance.
- A pet receives emergency medical care every 2 ½ seconds
- Two out of every three pets will experience a significant health problem during their lifetime
- In 2017 over 1.8 million American pets were insured
- The American pet insurance market topped $1 billion in 2017
- Pet insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions
- You can use any licensed vet in the U.S. with any pet insurance plan