Get FREE Quotes!
Dachshund Pet Insurance
Dachshund Breed Overview
Dachshunds (pronounced "DAHKS-huunts" for you rookies) are one of the most unique looking dog breeds in the world and one of the cutest!
Due to their distinct body type Dachshunds are particularly susceptible to back and spine issues. They are a relatively healthy breed with an average lifespan of 13 years, however, like any purebred dog, they are susceptible to some potentially life-threatening and expensive health problems.
Fun Fact: The German translation for the Dachshund Dog is "Badger Dog."
Dachshund Health Issues
Like most small, purebred dogs, Dachshunds are susceptible to some hereditary conditions that are expensive to treat. Here is a list of potential health issues to be aware of as the proud parent of a Dachshund dog.
- Intervertebral Disc Disease - $3,000 to $9,000 (25% of all Dachshund's get IVDD)
- Curvature of the Spine - $6,000 to $15,000
- Patent Ductus Arteriosus - (Dachshunds are 2.5x more likely to get PDA than other purebreds)
- Mitral Valve Disease - $1,000 to $5,000
- Anal Sac Disease - $100 to $2,500
- Cushing's Disease - $500 to $2,000
- Eye Problems - $50 to $3,000 per eye
- Hip Dysplasia - $4,000 to $6,000 per hip
- Patellar Luxation - $1,500 to $3,000
- Epilepsy - $200 to $15,000
- Achondroplasia - $1,000 to $5,000
- Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus (GDV) - $1,500 to $7,500
- Dog Health Issues
Intervertebral Disc Disease in Dachshunds
As mentioned, 25% of Dachshunds suffer from intervertebral disc disease, so you should definitely be prepared because spine surgery is expensive and there is a one in four chance your dog is going to need treatment.
Source: Dachshund Club of America
Best Pet Insurance Plans for Dachshunds
These companies offer plans that best cover the potential health issues you'll face as a Dachshund owner. Dachshunds are a unique breed and have a unique set of needs. Veterinary care can cost thousands of dollars if your Dachshund gets sick or injured. Here is a list of the most popular pet insurance companies.
All of the top 5 best pet insurance companies cover major medical issues like accidents and illnesses. This chart provides a more detailed breakdown.
✓ = Included O = Optional X = Excluded
Note: Unfortunately, dog insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions, so it's important to enroll while your pet is healthy and young.
Dachshund Customer Review
"I just got Hansel and knew before I got a new dog I would get pet insurance. My last dog was a Labrador retriever and all the love in the world couldn't prevent him from getting cancer. I was naive and thought I could afford cancer treatment or any other major medical issues..."
Source: Pet Insurance Reviews
Cost to Insure a Dachshund
Here is a sample of what comprehensive coverage would cost for a Dachshund across the country so you can get a sense of what it costs.
|Annapolis, MD||Sacramento, CA||Peoria, IL|
Source: Pet Insurance Cost
Pet insurance companies generate quotes based on your dog's breed, age and where you live. Pet insurance is slightly more expensive for Dachshund's because, quite frankly, companies pay more claims for Dachshund's than the average dog breed.
Pet Insurance Providers and Reviews
- Cat Insurance With Pre Existing Condition
- 24 Petwatch
- Cat Insurance Quotes
- Best Pet Insurance Uk
- Pet Insurance For Dogs
Find Pet Insurance Locally
- Pet Insurance Massachusetts
- Pc Pet Insurance
- Best Pet Insurance For Dogs California
- Pet Insurance Ohio
- Pet Insurance Mn
- Seattle Pet Insurance
Breed Specific Medical Issues
- Life Expectancy Of French Bulldogs
- Australian Shepherd Health
- Dachshund Back Surgery Cost
- Schnauzer Health Issues
- Cane Corso Health Issues
- Domestic Longhair Cat Breeds
- Dog Breed Health
Common Pet Health Problems
- Dog Glaucoma Surgery Cost
- Dog Disc Disease
- Hepatic Encephalopathy In Dogs
- Collie Eye Anomaly
- Arthritis Symptoms In Dogs
Get FREE Quotes!
We’ve generated over 1 million quotes and sold thousands of plans.
“We submitted over $4k in claims to Healthy Paws and in less than 2 weeks we were reimbursed. So amazing!!!” - Brandon
Pet Insurance Reviews
Why Use Us?
- Compare all 12 companies
- Save 25% by comparing rates
- Fast, free and 100% independent
Pet insurance pays up to 90% for veterinary treatment when your dog or cat gets sick or injured.