Pet Insurance in the UK
Best Pet Insurance Plans in the UK
Here are the best pet insurance providers in the UK based on our research and analysis.
- John Lewis Insurance
- Tesco Bank
- Virgin Money
We know you want the best for your pets. We feel the same way. So we analyzed every pet insurance company in the UK and ranked them from #1-15. Here are 10 other companies that fell just outside our top 5 rankings.
- More Than Pet Insurance
- Direct Line
- Animal Friends
- NFU Mutual
- Marks and Spencer
- AXA Pet Insurance
- Kennel Club
- Healthy Pets
UK Market Overview
The UK is arguably the best pet insurance market in the world. With over 86 companies to choose from UK pet owners have by far the most options of any country. The UK is also unique because it is one of the only pet insurance markets to offer coverage for rabbits and exotic animals. Another aspect is that UK companies also include liability coverage, which is sold separately in most countries.
Did You Know?
The first pet insurance policy issued in the UK was in 1947.
UK Market Statistics
There are 86 companies offering pet insurance plans in the UK, which is the most of any country in the world. Here are some more interesting statistics about the UK pet insurance market.
- 16.5 million dogs and cats live in the UK
- Over 26% of UK pets are insured
- The first policy was issued in 1947
- The average annual cat insurance premium is currently £155.20 and £339.11 for dogs
- Pet insurance in UK to reach £1.1 billion by 2018
- The number of cat insurance policies on the market has grown by 27% over the last three years, from 204 in 2008 to 278 this year
- The volume of dog insurance policies has increased by 29%, from 214 to 300, over the same period
- The number of providers operating in the pet insurance industry has increased by 14% since 2008, from 74 three years ago to 86 currently
Defaqto Matrix, Datamonitor, Timetric
Note: We do not sell plans in the UK, this page is intended for informational purposes only.