Last updated: November 3, 2023
- SUMMARY OF OUR PRIVACY PRACTICES
- HOW WE COLLECT YOUR INFORMATION
- HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
- HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
- DIGITAL TRACKING TOOLS & INTEREST-BASED ADVERTISING
- STATE PRIVACY RIGHTS
- CALIFORNIA Privacy Rights & Reporting
- NEVADA RESIDENTS
- How to Update Your Information & COMMUNICATION PREFERENCES
- Data Security
- Transfer of Data from Outside the United States
- EXTERNAL Content, Links, and Plug-Ins
- Contact Us
1. SUMMARY OF OUR PRIVACY PRACTICES
We collect personal information when you use our Services when you interact with us, and from our business partners and other authorized third parties. The table below summarizes the categories of personal information we collect, the sources from which we collect this information, how we use the information, and the categories of recipients who receive the information from us. For more information about our practices, please see Sections 2, 3, and 4.
|Personal Information We Collect
|Sources From Which We Collect the Information
|Our Purpose for Collecting the Information
|Types of Recipients to Whom We Disclose the Information
|Personal Identifiers such as: Names; email addresses; zip codes; telephone numbers; devices and online or advertising identifiers; IP addresses; social media handles; usernames; and photos of you or your pet that you send to or share with us.
|Transactional & Commercial Information such as: Products or services purchased, obtained, or considered; purchasing histories or tendencies.
|Browsing Activity & Usage Data such as: Browsing and search history and information about your interactions with our Site, emails, and advertisements; Internet Service Providers; mobile carriers; entry and exit URLs; language settings; and time zones; and aggregate information
|Profiles & Inferences such as: Preferences, interests, and other characteristics related to consumer trends.
|Location information such as: Zip code, GPS coordinates, latitude and longitude, and precise geolocation information,
|Audio or Visual Recordings, such as: Call recordings created when you call customer support.
We collect certain demographic information, such as gender, date of birth, or age, in aggregate form through certain technologies such as Google Analytics, as described further below in the section titled “Digital Tracking Tools and Interest Based Advertising.” Aggregated data is data that has been combined or collected together in summary and cannot be identified or tied to an individual (“Aggregate Data”). In addition to Google Analytics, sources of this information may include our affiliates, businesses that provide services to us, such as data analytics or marketing providers, and other social media platforms. We use this aggregated information to provide information related to the Services, improve our products and offerings, and learn about our customers. We may share such information with our affiliates or business units, service providers, or other third parties.
Because of the nature of our Services, we may ask for information about your pet, such as name, breed, sex, and date of birth. This information is strictly related to your pet, not You as the pet owner. As such, this information is not considered personal information as that term may be described under applicable data privacy and security legislation.
- HOW WE COLLECT YOUR INFORMATION
Information You Provide to Us
We collect your personal information when you provide it to us, such as by soliciting pet insurance quotes or offers on our Site; using or registering for our Services; providing reviews or ratings of our Services; or when you otherwise contact or communicate with us. This includes your name, zip code, and email address. We also collect certain personal information from you in connection with specific interactions you have with us. For example:
- When you seek pet insurance using the Site. If you submit your information to our Site in order to receive pet insurance quotes, we collect the information that you supply to us, such as your name, zip code, email address, and your pet’s names, species, breeds, genders, and ages. We use and share each of these data points to return custom pet insurance quotes from third-party insurance providers, as explained in more detail below under “Information We Share.” We use this information to contact you by email with offers and information related to pet insurance and other pet-related products and services. Third-party insurance providers and other affiliates and/or organizations may use the information you submit on the Site to contact you directly about your inquiries regarding pet insurance and related products.
- When you contact us, or interact with us online, via social media, or in public. If you contact us through email, our Site, social media, or otherwise, we may collect your name, email address, online usernames or other identifiers, telephone number, location, your pet’s information, and other information you choose to provide during our interaction. We will also collect this information if you choose to participate in a survey, contest, or promotion with us or our business partners. If you interact with us online or on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, we may collect your name, online usernames or other account identifiers, email address, and any media or information (such as photos) that you choose to share with us on those platforms or that you tag us in. We may use customer satisfaction surveys and product review tools facilitated internally or via third-party vendors, which allow you to review products online, via email, or using your mobile device. If you opt to participate in such features, we will receive your review in the format you submit it, as well as personal information that correlates with your review, such as your email address, and other information you submit with your review.
Automatically Collected Information
- Device & online information collected by digital tracking tools. Like many businesses, we use digital tracking tools such as browser cookies, flash cookies, pixel tags, server logs, and web beacons to automatically collect information when you use our Site, when you interact with our emails, and when you engage with our digital offerings. We also partner with third parties that place tracking tools on our Site, emails, and advertisements in order to facilitate advertising, tracking, analytics, and performance measurement. These digital tracking tools collect information about your activities over time on various digital platforms and services offered by us or others. These tools collect, for example, your browser type and settings; device attributes such as type and model; operating system; software and hardware information; IP address; mobile device identifiers; advertising identifiers; unique device and online identifiers including device serial numbers, IMEIs, and UDIDs; Internet Service Providers; mobile carriers; entry/exit URLs; your clickstream through our Site; your clicks within and other interactions you have with our emails; language settings; time zones; other software or services in use; and your geolocation, GPS location, on-Site shopping location if you visit our affiliated retail stores, or other location information as described more fully below under “Location Information.” We also automatically collect information about your use of our online platforms and offerings, including the date and time you visit; the areas or pages that you visit; the amount of time you spend viewing or using the Site; the number of times you return to the Site; clickstream or usage data from our Site and advertisements; other sites or mobile applications that you may visit; and your interactions with our promotional or transactional emails, advertisements, online content, and texts from us or our business partners. For more information on your choices related to digital tracking tools, please see Section 5 (“Digital Tracking Tools & Interest-Based Advertising”).
- Location information. If you access the Site online, we may automatically detect your location so that we can help you find Services in your general area. We may, depending on your device, application, and operating system settings, directly collect precise geographic location information and sensor data via GPS, cellular network information, and other location-based features, including the latitude and longitude of your device, as well as date and time. Most browsers and devices allow you to disable the collection of your precise geolocation. Please visit your browser’s or device’s “Help” or “Settings” menu for more information.
- Information you integrate from other online platforms. When using the Services, you may be given the option to sign into or connect to your social networking or other online accounts, such as Facebook, Twitter, your email provider, your mobile device provider, or similar online platforms. If you choose to integrate your use of our Services with any external platforms, we and those platforms automatically collect, receive, and use personal information about you based on your registration and settings with those services. Such information may include your name, social media usernames or similar unique identifiers, address, email address, IP address, unique device and online identifiers, pet information, photographs you share, location information, and your social media or account profile information. Some online platforms may combine information they collect from your interaction with the Services, with information they collect from other sources. Please see Section 12 (“External Content, Links, and Plug-Ins”) for more information. It is your choice whether to sign into or connect your other online accounts with your use of our Services. Your use of any external platforms is subject to those platforms’ privacy policies.
Information Collected from Other Sources
We also obtain personal information from third parties who have the right to provide such information to us. For example, if we acquire another business that you have shopped at or visited, that business may provide us with your personal information as part of our acquisition. In addition, we acquire certain information from data brokers and other third parties, including address information that we use to validate or update your postal address or prevent fraud; demographic and lifestyle information (such as the size of your household, age, and gender) to help us analyze our business’ performance or improve the Services; and information about your online and offline transactions and purchases to help us analyze or improve the Services. We may also receive your information from other Site customers who choose to provide your information to us. We also receive personal information, such as your name, address, phone number, email address, transaction details, and pet information, from our business partners when you participate in joint marketing promotions, events, transactions, or similar partnerships or Services we offer with third parties with whom we share a joint venture or similar business relationship.
- HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We collect, use, retain, and share personal information collected from or about you for the following purposes:
- To provide and improve the Services. For example, we use your personal information, such as your e-mail address and zip code, to process your insurance quote request with third-party insurance companies, to help provide insurance premium rate quotes, to provide third-party insurers with the information needed for applications, and to provide and improve our offerings and customer service. We also use personal information to analyze and improve the performance, usage, and operations of our Services using internal or external software and tools; to better understand who is using the Services and how; to improve our marketing; and to develop new offerings.
- To communicate with you. For example, we use your personal information, such as your email address, to respond to your inquiries; to provide you with information about your quote request and/or the Services; to conduct surveys, sweepstakes, contests, focus groups, and promotions; to engage with you over Site features such as product ratings, reviews, and comments; to provide you with marketing and advertising by email, mail, telephone, text message, push notifications, and/or across other websites, mobile applications, social media, and online services as appropriate; and to otherwise communicate with you as needed or permitted to run our business.
- To deliver personalized advertising and other information we think may be of interest to you. For example, we use your personal information, such as your IP address, location, and device identifiers, to help us or our business partners deliver interest-based advertising and content that is tailored to your individual interests. We, or our service providers, partners, vendors, or affiliates, may provide this content via email, mail, telephone, text message, push notifications, and/or across other websites, mobile applications, social media, or online services, as appropriate. We may also use your personal information to enhance and personalize your online and in-store shopping experiences with our affiliated retail stores and to recognize or welcome you to the Site. In addition, we and our vendors use your personal information to evaluate your potential eligibility for and interest in special offers. If you choose to participate in a publicly posted or online petition (or similar advocacy activities), we may use your personal information for marketing and contacting you regarding similar subjects we think may be of interest to you. Please visit Section 5 below (“Digital Tracking Tools & Interest-Based Advertising”) for further information on how to opt out of certain interest-based advertising. California residents may refer to Section 6 (“California Privacy Rights & Reporting”).
- To perform business reporting, analysis, and research. For example, we use information about your insurance quote requests, your location, and information about your use of the Services to engage in reporting, analytics, and research that helps us operate or improve our business. This includes metrics measuring the performance of our marketing efforts and advertisements that you may see or receive. To assess our business and marketing performance, we and our vendors may also combine, supplement, and update the personal information we collect from and about you with information collected offline, across other computers or devices that you may use, and from external sources. We also use your information to better understand who is using the services, to develop new offerings, and to help us analyze and improve the performance, usage, and operations of our Services overall. We use external software providers and tools to help us perform these analytics.
- To prevent fraud, comply with applicable law, protect our business, and other purposes. For example, we may use your name, contact information, IP address, and other personal information to protect the security or integrity of the Services and our business; to prevent fraudulent activity; to investigate potential security incidents; to assist law enforcement; to protect our rights and/or the rights of third parties; and/or to comply with our legal or regulatory obligations. We may also use and share aggregated, anonymized, or de-identified personal information for any legally permissible purpose.
- HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
We may share or disclose the personal information we collect from or about you. We will share or disclose your information when we notify you or obtain your consent; when our service providers or vendors need to receive or process such information in order to provide a business service in partnership with us; and/or in any of the below contexts.
- Pet insurance providers. If you obtain pet insurance, we will share your personal information with pet insurance providers or brokers to facilitate your transaction and Services. We may also share your information with veterinary providers where permissible or appropriate.
- Service providers, business partners, and vendors. We share your personal information with service providers, business partners, and vendors that we use to perform business, professional, or technical support functions for us, or that otherwise help us operate our business. For example, we share your personal information with third parties who assist us with providing insurance quotes, processing and responding to your inquiries, advertising and marketing the services, analyzing the effectiveness of our marketing and advertising, and maintaining our IT systems. These recipients include advertising networks, digital tracking tools, and data analytics providers. In addition, if you participate in a publicly posted or online petition we are involved with, we may share the personal information you provide with our advocacy targets, such as government officials, news publications, legislators, and others. Likewise, if you participate in such a co-branded, co-sponsored, or jointly presented promotion, product, contest, survey, voting feature, or service, your personal information will also be subject to those parties’ privacy policies. We may also share aggregated, anonymized, or de-identified information with third parties where permissible under applicable law.
- User Experience Testing. We may invite you to participate in a user experience test that allows us to gain insight about the Services. We will invite you to participate via your email address. Participation is entirely voluntary. Information collected during user experience testing will be used for internal purposes only.
- Sales or transfers of businesses or assets. We may sell or purchase assets during the normal course of business. If another entity acquires our business and/or any of our affiliates, personal information we have collected about you may be transferred to such an entity. In addition, if any bankruptcy or reorganization proceeding is brought by or against us, such information may be considered an asset of ours and may be sold or transferred to third parties.
- Legal, regulatory, and compliance purposes. We may disclose personal information we collect from or about you to the government, insurance providers, fraud prevention services, or other third parties. We share your information with these parties to comply with applicable laws, regulations, governmental and quasi-governmental requests and investigations, court orders, subpoenas, or other legal processes, and to defend ourselves in legal matters. We may also share your personal information with law enforcement, regulators, and government authorities in connection with suspected illegal or fraudulent activity associated with our Services; to protect against harm to us, to the Services, or to others; to detect security incidents; and/or to defend ourselves in legal matters.
- DIGITAL TRACKING TOOLS & INTEREST-BASED ADVERTISING
Our digital tracking tools may also collect information regarding your use of other websites, applications, and online resources. We also use third-party advertising networks to serve ads on our behalf on our own Site, and on third-party websites and mobile applications. These networks may collect information about your visits to our platforms in order to provide you with ads about goods and services that may be of interest to you. They may also keep track of your interaction with our ads and your visits to our Site.
- YOUR STATE PRIVACY RIGHTS AND ADDITIONAL DISCLOSURES
Depending on the state in which you reside, you may have certain privacy rights regarding your personal data. If you are a California resident, please see our “California Privacy Rights and Reporting” section below. For other state residents, your privacy rights may include (if applicable):
- The right to confirm whether or not we are processing your personal data and to access such personal data;
- The right to obtain a copy of your personal data that we collected from and/or about you in a portable and, to the extent technically feasible, readily usable format that allows you to transmit the information to another controller without hindrance, where the processing is carried out by automated means;
- The right to delete personal data that we collected from and/or about you, subject to certain exceptions;
- The right to correct inaccurate personal data that we maintain about you, subject to certain exceptions;
- The right, if applicable, to opt out of the processing of your personal data for purposes of (1) targeted advertising; (2) the “sale” of your personal data (as that term is defined by applicable law); and (3) profiling in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects concerning you;
- If we are required by applicable law to obtain your consent to process sensitive personal data, the right to withdraw your consent; and
- The right not to receive discriminatory treatment by us for the exercise of your privacy rights.
To exercise your rights, please submit a request through our interactive web form available here or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If legally required, we will comply with your request upon verification of your identity and, to the extent applicable, the identity of the individual on whose behalf you are making such a request. To do so, we will ask you to verify data points based on information we have in our records. If you are submitting a request on behalf of another individual, please use the same contact methods described above. If we refuse to take action regarding your request, you may appeal our decision by replying to the email you received from us in response to your request.
- CALIFORNIA Privacy Rights & Reporting
If you are a California resident, this section applies to you. The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) and the Shine the Light law afford California residents certain rights with respect to their personal information. The CCPA defines “personal information” as any information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, to, a particular consumer or household. The CCPA gives California residents the following rights related to their personal information:
- Right to Know: You have the right to request that we disclose the categories and pieces of personal information we have collected about you, the categories of sources from which your personal information was collected, our purpose for collection, and the categories of personal information we disclose and to whom.
- Right to Delete: You have the right to request that we delete your personal information, subject to certain exceptions.
- Right to Opt-Out of Sales: You have the right to request that we do not “sell” your personal information to third parties. We share certain personal information with third parties in exchange for valuable consideration, which may meet the CCPA’s definition of “sell.” We “sell” personal information under the CCPA for the commercial purposes of obtaining insights, analytics, marketing services, and other valuable services provided to us by third parties. These third parties help us enhance your experiences with us, provide more relevant advertising, improve our ability to serve you, and keep you aware of our products, services, and offers. We do not knowingly sell the personal information of minors under the age of 16.
- Right to Opt-Out of Financial Incentives: You have the right to opt out of any financial incentive programs we may offer, as described below in our Notice of Financial Incentives.
- Right to Non-Discrimination: You have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment for exercising your privacy rights. We respect your privacy rights, and we do not discriminate against individuals for exercising their rights under the CCPA.
The table in Section 1 summarizes for the preceding 12 months the categories of personal information we have collected, the sources from which we collected this information, the business or commercial purpose for the collection, and the categories of recipients to whom the information was disclosed.
How to Exercise Your Right to Know and Your Right to Delete
If you are a California resident or an authorized agent acting on behalf of a California resident and you wish to exercise the Right to Know or the Right to Delete, you may submit by completing our web form or by emailing us at email@example.com. You may submit a Right to Know and/or a Right to Delete request at no charge up to two times every 12 months.
You may submit a Right to Know or Right to Delete request on your own behalf, or you may designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf. If an agent submits a Right to Know or Right to Delete request, the agent must present signed, written authorization to act on your behalf. You will also be required to independently verify your own identity directly with us and to confirm with us that you provided the agent permission to submit the request. This verification process is not necessary if your authorized agent provides documentation reflecting that the agent has the power of attorney to act on your behalf under California Probate Code sections 4121-4130.
How to Exercise Your Right to Opt-Out of Sales
If you are a California resident or an authorized agent acting on behalf of a California resident and you wish to exercise the Right to Opt-Out of Sales, you may do so by completing our web form or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If an authorized agent submits the request, they must provide us with a signed, written authorization to act on your behalf. To process your request, our privacy vendor will place a cookie on your browser to automatically prevent the sale of your personal information when you use that browser to visit our Site. You will need to submit a separate Opt Out of Sale request on each browser and device that you use to visit our Site. Please note that after we process your request, you may still see advertising regarding our products and services. This advertising is designed for a general audience, or it may be delivered by service providers in ways that do not involve sales of your personal information.
Notice of Financial Incentives
From time to time, we may invite you to participate in different surveys or user experience testing in exchange for a financial incentive. You will be informed if there is a financial incentive and what such financial incentive is at the time of your invitation to participate. Categories of personal information that we may collect when you participate in these offerings include your name, email address, and any information you choose to provide in the context of the offering. Participating is entirely voluntary.
California’s ‘Shine the Light’ Law
Under California’s “Shine the Light” law, a California resident with whom we have an established relationship has the right to request information about our disclosure of personal information to affiliated companies or third parties for their direct marketing purposes within the immediately preceding calendar year, subject to certain exceptions. To exercise this right, please contact us as described herein.
8. NEVADA RESIDENTS
Nevada residents have the right to request that we do not sell certain personal information to select third parties for monetary consideration, even if their personal information is not currently being sold. If you are a Nevada resident and wish to exercise this right, please email email@example.com.
9. How to Update Your Information & COMMUNICATION PREFERENCES To change your communication preferences, please follow the instructions below:
- Email Promotional Offers. If you do not want to receive emails from us regarding special promotions or offers, you may (i) click the unsubscribe link in the footer of any of our promotional emails; or (ii) contact us using one of the methods in the “Contact Us” section below. Please note, that you may still receive transactional emails from us.
- Direct Mail Promotional Offers. If you do not want to receive any promotional offers through the mail, you may contact us using one of the methods listed in the “Contact Us” section below. To opt-out by email or mail, please include “Do Not Mail” in the subject line so your request can be properly directed.
- Mobile/Telephone Promotional Offers. If you do not wish to receive text messages from us, you can (i) follow the instructions provided in those messages or otherwise reply STOP, or (ii) contact us using one of the methods listed in the “Contact Us” section below.
Your instructions to limit the use of your information for these purposes will be processed as soon as reasonably practicable.
10. Data Security
We have taken certain physical, administrative, and technical steps designed to safeguard the personal information we collect from and about our customers. However, please be aware that despite these measures, no e-commerce platform, website, application, or system is 100% secure. You should take reasonable steps to protect your personal information against unauthorized access to your passwords, phone, and computer by, for example, signing off after using a shared computer; choosing a unique password for each account that no one else knows or can easily guess; and keeping your log-ins and passwords private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
11. Transfer of Data from Outside the United States
We are located in the United States, and therefore collect, process, and store your information in the United States. If you use any of our Services from outside of the United States, personal information that we collect from or about you will be transferred to and stored on servers inside the United States. Your use of the Services or provision of information to us constitutes your consent to the collection, transfer, use, processing, sharing, and storage of your information in the United States.
Our Services are directed at a general audience and are not targeted to children. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children. If we learn that we have collected personal information from an individual under age 16, we will use reasonable efforts to promptly remove such information. If you believe that we may have information from a child, please contact us as described herein.
13. EXTERNAL Content, Links, and Plug-Ins
- Contact Us