Basenji Dog Overview
Did You Know?
The Basenji is a hunting breed that originated from Central Africa. However, many experts credit their lines from breeders in Great Britain who developed and matured them there.
Basenji Health Overview
The Basenji is a relatively healthy breed but just like any purebred dog there are health conditions you should be aware of. The most serious and expensive types of health conditions are hereditary disorders. Here is a list of potential health issues unique to the Basenji and the average cost of treatment for each condition.
- Hip Dysplasia – $4,000 to $6,000
- Elbow Dysplasia – $3,000 to $5,000
- Patellar Luxation – $1,500 to $3,000
- Fanconi Syndrome – $9,000 to $11,000
- IPSID – Varies
- Anemia – $500 to $2,000
- Hyperthyroidism – $10-30 per month
- Hypothyroidism – $10-30 per month
- Heart Disease – $5,000 to $20,000
- Hernias – $750 to $2,000
- Eye Problems – $50 to $3,000
- Torn Ligaments – $3,000 to $6,000
- Spine Issues – $3,000 to $9,000
- Broken Bones – $200 to $5,000
- Foreign Body Ingestion – $500 to $5,000
Key Coverage to Consider
All of the top five best pet insurance companies cover major medical issues like accidents and illnesses. This chart provides a more detailed breakdown.
|✓ Accidents||✓ Illnesses|
|✓ X-Rays, Blood Tests, etc.||✓ Surgery|
|✓ Hereditary Conditions||✓ Hospitalization|
|✓ Congenital Conditions||✓ Prescription Medications|
|✓ Chronic Conditions||✓ Emergency Care|
|✓ Cancer||✓ Specialty Care|
|✓ Diagnostic Treatment||✓ Alternative Treatment|
|X Pre-Existing Conditions||X Preventative Care|
Note: Unfortunately, dog insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions, so it’s important to enroll while your pet is healthy and young.
How Much Does it Cost?
Below are some samples across the country to give you an idea of how much pet insurance will cost for your Basenji. The only way to know exactly how much a policy will cost is to compare quotes from various companies.