Get FREE Quotes!
ASPCA Pet Health Insurance
ASPCA Pet Insurance offers major medical, wellness and accident only coverage for dogs and cats. They are one of the oldest and most respected pet insurance providers in the U.S. ASPCA recently updated their old plans with a new policy called Complete Coverage, which provides even better coverage than their old plans.
|Major Medical Coverage||Yes|
ASPCA is also affiliated with other organizations you might be familiar with:
- Hartville Pet Health Insurance
- Pekin Pet Insurance
- Petshealth Care Plan
- Premier Pet Insurance
ASPCA Pet Insurance is one of the biggest and most respected pet insurance companies in America. Their new Comprehensive Coverage plan is a great option for any pet owner.
|Ease of Enrollment||★★|
Source: Overall Score
Major Medical Coverage
ASPCA offers coverage for dogs and cats in all 50 states. Pet Owners can choose from four different levels of coverage for accident and illness coverage. Additionally, ASPCA offers wellness coverage for routine, annual care expenses for an additional cost.
|Complete Coverage Plan
|Annual Limit||$5k - Unlimited|
|Reimbursement||70, 80, 90%|
|Deductible||$100, 250, 500|
|Waiting Period - Accidents||1 day|
|Waiting Period - Illnesses||14 days|
|Waiting Period - Orthopedic||14 days|
|Waiting Period - Wellness Care||14 days|
ASPCA offers three levels of wellness coverage.
|Flea / Heartworm Prevention
|Total Annual Benefit||$250||$350||$500|
Accident Only Coverage
The accident only plan covers accidents only and excludes illnesses. That is why we do not recommend this level of coverage.
Source: Sample Plans
ASPCA is relatively competitive but slightly more expensive than other companies in the market. That is why they received a respectable rating on price.
Major Medical Costs
Here are some sample of costs for the Comprehensive Coverage Plan. This is ASPCA's standard dog insurance coverage option.
|Top 10 Dog Breeds||Cost *|
|Mixed Breed Dog||$62/mo.|
|Average for All Dogs||$70/mo.|
And if you're more of a cat person here is a sample of cat insurance costs for the top 10 most popular cat breeds in America.
|Top 10 Cat Breeds||Cost *|
|Mixed Breed Cat||$48/mo.|
|Average for All Cats||$48/mo.|
Wellness Coverage Costs
Here are the costs for each level of wellness coverage.
Customer Satisfaction: 86%
Total Reviews: 4,604
"Pet insurance isn't something that many dog owners know about including my husband and me. We chose ASPCA pet insurance based on the ASPCA brand backing and it's been a great. We made one $2,000 claim 6 months ago and it was paid via check within 2 weeks of our submission. Very easy."
"I've read a lot of reviews about disgruntled pet owners and it's too bad they didn't just start with ASPCA. We've been with them for nearly 8 years and never had any problems. The deliver on claims and when a claim is denied they have a clear explanation. Overall ASPCA pet insurance is well worth the money."
"Saved Me $5,000! Our lab mix Donny suffered from canine hip dysplasia and the replacement surgery cost $6,800 for one hip! ASPCA reimbursed us $5,000 (which was our max limit) for the surgery. Hey, I was happy because for only $28/mo they saved me $5,000. Great value."
More Stories: ASPCA Pet Insurance Reviews
|Waiting Period||No wait for accidents or wellness coverage, 30 days for illnesses, 6 month waiting period for hereditary conditions, 12 months for orthopedic issues
|Claims Reimbursement||Most claims paid within 2 weeks
|Multiple Pet Discount||10% for additional pets
|Online Quote Discount||None|
|Vet Policy||Use any licensed veterinarian in the U.S.|
|Hours of Operation||Mon - Fri: 8:00 am - 9:00 pm EST, Sat: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm EST|
|Trial Offer||30-day money back guarantee|
ASPCA Pet Insurance is operated by the Hartville Group, Inc., which is based in Canton, Ohio. The company was founded in 1997 making it the second oldest pet insurance company in the United States. The Hartville Group is underwritten by the United States Fire Insurance Company, which has an A.M. Best Insurance rating of A (Excellent).
|Underwriter||United States Fire Insurance Company (A)
- a. Aesthetic, cosmetic, endodontic dental services such as caps, crowns or crown amputation, fillings, implants and root canals or planing.
- b. Anal sac (gland) expression and/or resection when no infection is present
- c. Boarding
- d. Breeding, pregnancy, whelping or nursing
- e. Conditions that occur during a waiting period
- f. Cosmetic and elective prostheses or procedures (including but not limited to claw removal, ear cropping and tail docking)
- g. Dental cleanings unless used to treat a covered illness or covered by an applicable endorsement
- h. Experimental or investigational treatment or medication (including clinical trials) that is not generally accepted in the veterinary medical community as effective or proven
- i. Grooming or grooming supplies (including but not limited to non-prescription baths, ear cleanings, non-prescription shampoos and nail trims).
- j. Herbs
- k. House call fees, time and travel expenses to and from the veterinarian's premises or hospital.
- l. Illness or injury that results from intentional, malicious, or grossly negligent activities or from failure to perform actions commonly accepted as responsible pet care by you, a member of your household or a caregiver for your pet.
- m. Non-medical supplies such as but not limited to toys, training devices, and leashes.
- n. Non-Veterinary services (including but not limited to administrative fees, medical records expenses, medical waste, postage and tax).
- o. Pre-existing Conditions that occurred on or before the effective date of the policy or during a waiting period.
- p. Prescription food, pet food, diets or treats used for prevention or general health maintenance (including weight loss) even if prescribed or dispensed by a veterinarian.
- q. Preventive care without an occurrence (including but not limited to general health maintenance diagnostics, laboratory procedures, medications, physical examinations and surgery) unless covered by an applicable endorsement.
- r. Supplements and vitamins used for prevention or general health maintenance (including weight loss) even if prescribed or dispensed by a veterinarian.
- s. Veterinary expenses related to coursing, organized fighting, law enforcement or guarding, personal protection or racing.
- Pet Insurance Companies
- ASPCA vs. Figo
- ASPCA vs. Petplan
- ASPCA vs. Trupanion
- Embrace vs. ASPCA
- Healthy Paws vs. ASPCA
- Nationwide vs. ASPCA
- Pets Best vs. ASPCA
Pet Insurance Providers and Reviews
Find Pet Insurance Locally
Breed Specific Medical Issues
Common Pet Health Problems
- Interdigital Furunculosis
- Throat Cancer In Cats
- What Causes Liver Failure In Dogs
- Golden Retriever Skin Issues
- Heart Murmur In Dog
- Encephalopathy In Dogs
- Labrador Hip Problems
- Types Of Seizures In Dogs
Get FREE Quotes!
We’ve generated over 1 million quotes and sold thousands of plans.
“We submitted over $4k in claims to Healthy Paws and in less than 2 weeks we were reimbursed. So amazing!!!” - Brandon
Pet Insurance Reviews
Why Use Us?
- Compare all 12 companies
- Save 25% by comparing rates
- Fast, free and 100% independent
Pet insurance pays up to 90% for veterinary treatment when your dog or cat gets sick or injured.