Pet Insurance Quotes

Pet Insurance in Canada

dog holding canadian flag in mouth


Did you know that Canada is home to 15.4 million dogs and cats? That’s a lot of furry family members!

In fact at the end of 2018 there were 271k pets insured in Canada, which is only 1.9% of the total population. That is far behind your friends in the U.K. but beats the folks just south in America, which only insured 1.2% of their furry family members.

Most Popular Cities for Pet Insurance in Canada

According to 2019 statistics provided by the North American Pet Health Insurance Association, there were 302,424 pets insured in Canada, that’s an annual growth rate of Insured Pets in the Canada since 2015 of 11.3%. Here is a list of the top five provinces in Canada when it comes to pets enrolled.

  1. Ontario
  2. Alberta
  3. British Columbia
  4. Quebec
  5. Nova Scotia

Dogs make up the majority of insured pets in Canada accounting for 78% of all insured pets (cats account for the remaining 22%). And an interesting note, Canada insures a higher proportion of cats than the U.S. (16% of all insured pets in America are cats).

Pet Insurance Companies in Canada

There are currently five leading providers in Canada to choose from. Two companies, Petplan and Trupanion, are based in the U.S. and also sell plans in America. Petsecure and Pets Plus Us, on the other hand, only offer plans in Canada.

Here are two great American pet insurance companies that also offer plans north of the border. Both are great options if you’re looking for excellent accident and illness coverage.


Much like your friends to the south (yeah, here in America) Canada has several great pet insurance coverage options. Whether you have a young dog or an old cat, or anything in between, we encourage you to enroll in a plan before your furry family member gets sick or injured.

Related Content

Note: We are not currently licensed in Canada and this page serves for general informational purposes only.

Get Free Quotes!

Compare Plans and Prices from the Top Companies