English Springer Spaniel
English Springer Spaniels were originally bred in Great Britain as hunting dogs. The Spaniel was mentioned by name in an ancient law of Wales as early as 300 AD. Paintings from the 16th and 17th century show dogs that look like English Springer Spaniels. The first documented English Springer Spaniel was imported to North America from England to Canada in 1913.
They are a healthy breed with an average lifespan of 12 to 14 years. However, just like any purebred dog, there are some potential hereditary health problems you should be aware of.
- Progressive Retinal Atrophy – $2,000 to $3,000
- Hip Dysplasia – $4,000 to $6,000
- Elbow Dysplasia – $3,000 to $5,000
- Patella Luxation – $1,500 to $3,000
- Actinomyces Infection – Varies
- Cancer – $5,000 to $20,000
- Glaucoma – $2,000 to $3,000
- Epilepsy – $200 to $15,000
- Copper Storage Disease – Varies
- Stomach Bloat – $1,500 to $7,500
- Ear Infection – $2,500 to $4,500
- Cushing’s Disease – $500 to $2,000
- Autoimmune Diseases – $500 to $20,000
Pet Insurance for English Springer Spaniels
As you can see veterinary treatment can be very expensive if your English Springer Spaniels gets sick or injured. Here is a list of the most popular pet insurance companies for English Springer Spaniel dogs based on coverage that matches their unique needs.
Key Coverage to Consider
All of the top five best pet insurance companies cover major medical issues like accidents and illnesses. This chart provides a more detailed breakdown.
|✓ Accidents||✓ Illnesses|
|✓ X-Rays, Blood Tests, etc.||✓ Surgery|
|✓ Hereditary Conditions||✓ Hospitalization|
|✓ Congenital Conditions||✓ Prescription Medications|
|✓ Chronic Conditions||✓ Emergency Care|
|✓ Cancer||✓ Specialty Care|
|✓ Diagnostic Treatment||✓ Alternative Treatment|
|X Pre-Existing Conditions||X Preventative Care|
Note: Unfortunately, dog insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions, so it’s important to enroll while your pet is healthy and young.
How Much Does it Cost?