Did You Know?
According to the American Kennel Club, Labrador Retrievers are the #1 breed in America, and it’s not even close. In fact, in a given year, Labrador Retriever registrations with the AKC are 2.5x higher than the #2 breed, Yorkshire Terriers.
Labrador Retriever Health
These are some of the most common and expensive issues for Labrador Retrievers. Treatment costs associated with each health condition are estimates based on reported expenses throughout the country.
Labs are popular because of the gentle demeanor and intelligence.Labradors are a very athletic and relatively healthy breed with an average lifespan between 10-12 years.
If you’re the lucky owner of a Labrador then it’s a good idea to get pet insurance to protect him or her from unknown, future health issues.
- Hip Dysplasia – $4,000 to $6,000
- Elbow Dysplasia – $3,000 to $5,000
- Luxating Patella – $1,500 to $3,000
- Broken Bones – $200 – $5,0000
- Cancer – $3,000 to $20,000
- Epilepsy – $200 to $15,000
- Stomach Bloat – $1,500 to $7,500
- Heart Disease – $5,000 to $20,000
- Progressive Retinal Atrophy – $2,000 to $3,000
- Cataracts – $2,000 to $3,000
- Masticatory Muscle Myositis – $50 to $100 per month
- Corneal Dystrophy – $2,000 to $3,000
- Panosteitis – Varies
- Interdigital Cysts – $200 to $1,000
- Osteochondrodysplasia – $1,200 to $1,500
Key Coverage to Consider
All of the best pet insurance companies cover major medical issues like accidents and illnesses. This chart provides a more detailed breakdown.
|✓ Accidents||✓ Illnesses|
|✓ X-Rays, Blood Tests, etc.||✓ Surgery|
|✓ Hereditary Conditions||✓ Hospitalization|
|✓ Congenital Conditions||✓ Prescription Medications|
|✓ Chronic Conditions||✓ Emergency Care|
|✓ Cancer||✓ Specialty Care|
|✓ Diagnostic Treatment||✓ Alternative Treatment|
|X Pre-Existing Conditions||X Preventative Care|
Note: Unfortunately, dog insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions, so it’s important to enroll while your pet is healthy and young.
How Much Does Pet Insurance Cost?
The short answer is that it depends. Pet insurance companies generate prices based on your pets breed, age and zip code. Here are some sample prices across the country to give you an idea of what a plan might cost you.