Pet Insurance Quotes

The Cost of Canine Toxin Ingestion

toxic to dogs

Introduction

Whether it’s a small toy, a chicken bone, or an onion that fell while you were cooking dinner, dogs tend to eat things they shouldn’t. Sometimes their unexpected snack can be harmless and only upset their stomach. But other times, it can be deadly and require immediate medical attention.

We’ve all heard the horror stories of a dog rushed to the ER because something is blocking their airway. But sometimes signs of a problem aren’t immediately obvious.

 

What are the signs my dog ate something harmful?

The symptoms your dog could display if they ate something harmful depends on the object. If they ate something like baker’s chocolate, they might not show signs for a few hours. If they ate something that caused a bowel obstruction, symptoms might not show up for more than 24 hours.

Either way, here are some signs your pooch ate something they shouldn’t have:

  • Vomiting or excessive gagging.
  • Painful abdomen
  • Loss of appetite
  • Diarrhea or constipation
  • Excessive drooling
  • Dehydration
  • Lethargy
  • Increased breathing rate (due to pain)

If your dog is showing any of these signs and you suspect they ate something toxic, call your veterinarian immediately and find out if they need medical attention. After a physical exam, they may suggest an X-ray to determine if the foreign object will pass on its own or require surgery.

 

How Long Does It Take for a Toxin to Hurt My Dog?

The time it takes for a toxin to affect your dog varies. It also depends on how much of the toxin was ingested.

Mild symptoms can show up within minutes and get worse over time. If they swallowed a small toy (and it isn’t obstructing their airway), it might pass through the stomach tract. However, if your dog experiences a loss of appetite or has irregular bowel movements, it is important to have them examined by your veterinarian.

 

What Will Happen at the Veterinarian’s Office?

If you need emergency care for your pet after they ate something harmful, your pet will need a medical examination at the very least. Depending on the severity of the toxin or foreign body, the vet can suggest anything from a few hours of hospitalization to immediate surgery.

It’s essential to gather as much information as possible about the toxin before you go to the vet’s office. If you can narrow down the source of the problem for the vet, they can address the problem much faster.

Knowing what your dog ate, and how much, will let the doctors work much faster to make sure your pooch is ok.

It goes without saying that when it comes to toxins and foreign bodies, it’s important to take your doctor’s advice. They only want what’s best for your dog and to make sure there are plenty of healthy days ahead.

 

Be Prepared

Get Free Quotes!

Compare Quotes From all the Top Companies