Petco Pet Insurance vs. Healthy Paws
Petco, one of the most trusted pet brands in the world, is also one of the newest brands to enter the pet insurance market. Healthy Paws on the other hand has been insuring pets since 2009. Both companies offer excellent accident and illness coverage for dogs and cats. Here is a quick comparison of the two to help you make the right decision for your furry family member!
|Price:||Get a Quote||Get a Quote|
|Deductible:||$100 - $500||$100, $250 or $500|
|Reimbursement:||70% - 90%||70%, 80% or 90%|
|Annual Limit:||$5,000 - Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Company Profile:||Company Overview||Company Overview|
|Waiting Period for Accidents:||14 days||15 days|
|Waiting Period for Illnesses:||14 days||15 days|
|Waiting Period for Orthopedic Coverage:||14 days||15 days*|
Petco Pet Insurance
Petco launched it’s pet insurance plan to employers in 2019 and opened it up to their customer base in 2020. One of the newest pet insurance companies, Petco offers comprehensive accident and illnesses coverage with enough flexibility to meet any pet parent’s monthly budget.
- Nationally recognized, trusted pet brand
- Cover’s exam fees
- Not a long track record of insuring pets
- No wellness care option
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance
Founded in 2009, Healthy Paws has become the gold standard for customer service in the American pet health insurance market. Healthy Paws offers one, simple plan that is affordable than most options on the market.
Healthy Paws Pros
- Consistently the highest rated pet insurer
- Long track record insuring pets
Healthy Paws Cons
- Limit coverage for newly enrolled, older pets
- Does not cover exam fees
You truly can’t go wrong with either company. If you want to enroll a pet who is older than 6 then Petco is probably your best bet. But if you’re enrolling a young, mixed breed dog Healthy Paws might be your choice. Either way, it’s important to compare prices because every company rates pets different based on their breed and age.
Compare Healthy Paws
Petco Insurance Enrollment Requirements
There are no enrollment requirements. However, when you submit a claim, you authorize us and our administrator to access all medical information that we need to assess your pet’s health. For example, we may ask you for the name and contact information of any veterinarian that has ever seen or treated your pet. You must also provide proof of identity for your pet when we request.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Enrollment Requirements
- 12 month waiting period for hip dysplasia*
- Must be enrolled before 6 for hip dysplasia coverage
- Minimum age: 8 weeks
- Maximum age: 14 years (4 years in New York state)
- A pet less than 6 years old on the date of enrollment must have undergone a complete clinical examination and the exam must have taken place either in the 12 months prior to the pet policy effective date or within 15 days following the pet policy effective date
- A pet 6 years old or greater on the date of enrollment must have undergone a complete clinical examination within 30 days prior to the pet policy effective date or within 15 days following the pet policy effective date