Trupanion vs Petplan
Trupanion Pet Insurance and Petplan Pet Insurance are two of the most respected brands in the American pet insurance market. Trupanion offers one, simple coverage option that pays 90% of your actual vet bills when your pet gets sick or injured. Petplan, on the other hand, allows you to choose between 70% to 90% reimbursement depending on your budget. Either way, both companies are highly rated by pet parents and are regulars on our best pet insurance plans list.
|Price:||Get a Quote||Get a Quote|
|Deductible:||$0 - $1,000||$250 - $1,000|
|Reimbursement:||90%||70% - 90%|
|Annual Limit:||Unlimited||$2,500 to Unlimited|
|Company Profile:||Company Overview||Company Overview|
|Waiting Period for Accidents:||5 days||5 days|
|Waiting Period for Illnesses:||30 days||15 days|
|Waiting Period for Orthopedic Coverage:||30 days||15 days**|
Trupanion Pet Insurance Enrollment Requirements
Trupanion Enrollment Requirements
You must provide all medical history and records associated with your pet. You also authorize Trupanion to contact any and all veterinary clinics or hospitals in your area to obtain all available medical records that exist for your pet. Trupanion allows pets to enroll from the time of birth to their 14th birthday.
Petplan Pet Insurance Enrollment Requirements
*Regardless of your pet’s age, if your pet has not been examined by a veterinarian within sixty (60) days prior to the effective date of the policy, you must arrange to have your pet examined within thirty (30) days of the effective date of the policy.
**Orthopedic Health Issues
- 6-month waiting period for cruciate ligaments and patellar luxation
- Standard 15 day Illness Waiting Period for other Orthopedic conditions
- Exclusionary period for knees can be waived with a healthy knee exam/check at the vet while the policy is in force
- 30-day waiver is available
- Cruciate injuries and illnesses are coverable, but there is a six month cruciate exclusionary period that can be waived by having the knees certified as healthy by the vet in the first 30 days