Pug Dog – Breed Overview
Pug Dog Overview
Pugs are one of the cutest and most loving dog breeds in the world. Even if you’re having a bad day just looking at a pug can make it better!
Pug Health Problems
The average lifespan of a Pug dog is 11 to 12 years. As an owner of a Pug, or any purebred dog, it’s important to be aware of some potential health issues. For example, according to the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals, 64% of Pugs are dysplastic, which makes them highly susceptible to hip dysplasia.
- Hip Dysplasia – $4,000 to $6,000
- Legg-Perthes Disease – $2,000 to $4,000
- Patellar Luxation – $1,500 to $3,000
- Curvature of the Spine – $6,000 to $15,000
- Hemivertebrae – $2,500 to $7,000
- Eye Conditions – $500 to $3,000
- Canine Cancer – $5,000 to $20,000
- Heat Stroke – Varies
- Necrotizing Meningoencephalitis – $5,000 to $20,000
- Brachycephalic Skull – Varies
Coverage for Pugs
As you can see veterinary treatment can be very expensive if your Pug gets sick or injured. Here is a list of what’s covered by pet insurance.
How Much Does Pet Insurance Cost?
Pet insurance company’s rate based on your breed, age of your dog and where you live. In other words, the more expensive it is in your zip code the more you will pay because veterinary costs will be more expensive.
Note: Sample, average prices for a three year-old Pug