Petplan vs Embrace Pet Insurance
One thing that Petplan and Embrace share in common are excellent customer service ratings. Both companies have been top tier service providers for well over a decade. But aside from great customer service Petplan and Embrace are very different.
Petplan offers one simple, accident & illness plan that covers unexpected health issues. You can add some bells and whistles and customize your payment, but it’s fairly straightforward.
Embrace on the other hand offers the most customized options in the pet insurance market today. You can just about create your own plan to your exact specifications. Or, if you’re feeling lazy, you can take their recommended option.
|Price:||Get a Quote||Get a Quote|
|Deductible:||$250 - $1,000||$200 - $1,000|
|Reimbursement:||70% - 90%||70 - 90%|
|Annual Limit:||$2,500 to Unlimited||$5,000 - $30,000|
|Company Profile:||Company Overview||Company Overview|
|Waiting Period for Accidents:||5 days||2 days*|
|Waiting Period for Illnesses:||15 days||14 days|
|Waiting Period for Orthopedic Coverage:||15 days**||6 months**|
Petplan Pet Insurance Enrollment Requirements
*Regardless of your pet’s age, if your pet has not been examined by a veterinarian within sixty (60) days prior to the effective date of the policy, you must arrange to have your pet examined within thirty (30) days of the effective date of the policy.
**Orthopedic Health Issues
- 6-month waiting period for cruciate ligaments and patellar luxation
- Standard 15 day Illness Waiting Period for other Orthopedic conditions
- Exclusionary period for knees can be waived with a healthy knee exam/check at the vet while the policy is in force
- 30-day waiver is available
- Cruciate injuries and illnesses are coverable, but there is a six month cruciate exclusionary period that can be waived by having the knees certified as healthy by the vet in the first 30 days
Embrace Pet Insurance Enrollment Requirements
- Maximum age for enrollment in full accident & illness coverage is 14 years
- Pets older than 15 are eligible for an accident-only policy
- Minimum age for enrollment is six weeks
- Pets must have been examined by a licensed veterinarian in the 12 months prior to the policy start date. If there is no noted exam prior to the policy start date, an exam is required within the first 14 days of the policy.
- Pet parents can cancel policies immediately over the phone with no penalty
- Claims must be submitted within the policy year plus 60 day
- There is a defined appeal process for claims
- Reimbursement method: Direct deposit or check
- Prescription medications: Included with all accident and illness policies
- There is a 14-day waiting period for illnesses
- * There is a 2-day waiting period for accidents in most states
- ** There is a 6-month waiting period for orthopedic conditions for dogs only. This can be reduced by following Embrace’s Orthopedic Exam and Waiver Process