Pet Insurance in Louisiana
Veterinary Costs in Louisiana
Caring for a dog or can’t isn’t cheap. Food, boarding, toys, vet visits, if you’re a pet parent you already know this. However, what you might not know is how expensive veterinary care can be if your pet needs treatment for a major illness or injury.
Here is a sample of common health issues and the average costs to treat them.
- Elbow Dysplasia – $3,000 to $6,000 per elbow
- Entropion – $300 to $1,500 per eye
- Epilepsy – $200 to $15,000
- Eye Problems – $50 to $3,000 per eye
- Fanconi Syndrome – $9,000 to $11,000
Source: Dog Health Conditions
Pet Insurance Costs
Prices vary depending on the breed and age of your pet. Here are some sample prices for popular breeds in Louisiana.
- Shreveport – $33/month
- Baton Rouge – $34/month
- New Orleans – $38/month
Fun Facts about Veterinary Care
- Bayer HealthCare conducted a survey of 2,100 pet owners where 50% agreed the cost of veterinary care was much higher than they expected,
- In 2015 expenses on veterinary care are projected to exceed $16 billion
- There are 120 million veterinary visits every year in the U.S.
- A pet receives emergency medical care every 2 ½ seconds
- Every six seconds a pet owner is faced with a vet bill of more than $1,000
The #1 reason people buy pet insurance is that they, “Want to make decisions about their pet’s health care without worrying about whether or not they can afford treatment.”