Basset Hound Overview
Basset Hound Breed Overview
Basset Hounds were first mentioned in La Venerie in 1585. La Venerie was a hunting publication that described the breed as an ideal companion for hunting rabbit, hare, fox and other small game.
They have an average lifespan between 8-12 years. Due to their short stature, droopy eyes and floppy ears there are some unique health risks that can affect this breed.
Basset Hound Health Issues
Every dog is unique and not every dog will suffer from a serious health problem. However, like any pure breed dog, Basset Hound’s are susceptible to health issues during their lifetime. Here is a list of health problems you should be aware of as the owner of a Basset Hound.
- Glaucoma – $2,000 to $2,500 per eye
- Von Willebrand Disease – $500 to $1,000 per treatment
- Hip Dysplasia – $4,000 to $6,000 per hip
- Elbow Dysplasia – $3,000 to $5,000 per elbow
- Wobbler Syndrome – $5,000 to $6,000
- Disc Disease – $3,000 to $6,000
- Curvature of the Spine – $6,000 to $15,000
- Luxating Patella – $1,500 to $3,000
- Achondroplasia – $1,000 to $5,000
- Osteochondrodysplasia – $1,200 to $1,500
- Gastric Torsion – $1,500 to $7,500
- Panosteitis – Varies
- Ectropion – Varies
- Entropion – Varies
- Hypothyroidism – Varies
- Osteochondrosis – Varies
- Thrombopathia – Varies
- Allergies – Varies
- Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis – Varies
Pet Insurance for Basset Hounds
We certainly hope your Basset Hound never has any serious health issues, but as you can see, accidents and illnesses are all-too-common. The best way to protect your pup and your pocketbook is by enrolling in a pet health insurance plan while your dog is young and healthy. Here are the common coverage options available.
|✓ Accidents||✓ Illnesses|
|✓ X-Rays, Blood Tests, etc.||✓ Surgery|
|✓ Hereditary Conditions||✓ Hospitalization|
|✓ Congenital Conditions||✓ Prescription Medications|
|✓ Chronic Conditions||✓ Emergency Care|
|✓ Cancer||✓ Specialty Care|
|✓ Diagnostic Treatment||✓ Alternative Treatment|
|X Pre-Existing Conditions||X Preventative Care|
How Much Does it Cost?
Below are some samples prices across the country to give you an idea of how much it costs. The only way to know exactly how much a plan will cost is to get quotes for your Basset Hound.