Shih Tzu Dog Overview
Did You Know?
Did you know that Shih Tzu’s are also referred to in Chinese Lion Dogs in Asia?
The average Shih Tzu has a life expectancy between 10 to 16 years, making them one of the most healthy dog breeds in the world.
However, Shih Tzu, just like any purebred dog, is susceptible to hereditary disorders that you should be aware of.
Shih Tzu Health Overview
Here are 10 of the most common health issues in Shih Tzu dogs and the estimated costs for treatment.
- Intervertebral Disc Disease – $3,000 to $9,000
- Curvature of the Spine – $6,000 to $15,000
- Cataracts – $2,000 to $3,000 per eye
- Corneal Ulcers – Varies
- Entropion – $300 to $1,500 per eye
- Luxating Patella – $1,500 to $3,000
- Liver Shunt – $2,000 to $5,000
- Hip Dysplasia – $4,000 to $6,000 per hip
- Brain Cancer – $5,000 to $20,000
- Progressive Retinal Atrophy – $2,000 to $3,000 per eye
- Achondroplasia – $1,000 to $5,000
- Hypothyroidism – Varies
Top Pet Insurance for Shih Tzu Dogs
As you can see veterinary treatment can be very expensive if your Shih Tzu gets sick or injured. Here is a list of the most popular pet insurance companies based on independent customer reviews.
How Much Does it Cost?
Pet insurance companies rate plans based on breed, age and where you live. The good news for Yorkie owners is that they are less expensive to insure than most purebred dogs.
Here is a smattering of prices across the country to give you an idea of how much it will cost to insure your Shih Tzu.
- Portsmouth, Ohio – $26/month
- Flint, Michigan – $29/month
- Hollywood, Florida – $31/month
- Austin, Texas – $32/month
- Riverside, California – $38/month
Source: Pet Insurance Cost