Affenpinscher Dog Overview
Affenpinschers originated in Germany dating back to the 17th century. The breed was created to be a ratter to remove rodents from kitchens, gardens and stables. They are a relatively healthy breed with an average life expectancy may be from 12 years to 14 years. However, like any purebred, small dog, they are susceptible to hereditary and genetic health issues.
Potential Health Issues
The Orthopedic Foundation for Animals evaluated the hip X-rays of 136 Affenpinschers and found 12% dysplastic, which is a very high incidence rate for a small dog. Here is a list of other potential health issues you should be aware of as the owner of an Affenpinscher.
- Legg-Perthes Disease – $2,000 to $4,000
- Hip Dysplasia – $4,000 to $6,000
- Broken Bones – $200 to $5,000
- Collapsed Trachea – $500 to $1,500
- Luxating Patella – $1,500 to $3,000
- Heart Disease – $5,000 to $20,000
- Mitral Valve Disease – $15,000 to $20,000
- Ductus Arteriosus – $2,500 to $5,000
- Cataracts – $2,000 to $3,000
- Glaucoma – $2,000 to $3,000
- Corneal Ulcers – $1,000 to $2,000
- Von Willebrand Disease – $500 to $1,000
- Liver Shunt – $2,000 to $5,000
Note: The cost of treatment varies based on the severity of your dog’s condition and the cost of treatment in your area.
Source: Dog Health Conditions
Pet Insurance for Affenpinscher Dogs
As you can see from the list of potential health issues above, veterinary care can cost thousands of dollars if your dog gets sick or injured. The best way to protect your Affenpinscher from potential health issues is to enroll in a pet insurance policy while they are young and healthy.
Key Coverage to Consider
These are the most important pet insurance coverage options you should choose when selecting a plan for your Affenpinscher.
How Much Does it Cost?
Pet insurance companies will quote your Affenpinscher based on the age of your dog and where you live. In other words, the more expensive it is in your zip code the more you will pay because veterinary costs will be more expensive. Here are some samples across the country to give you an idea of how much it costs.
- Portland, Oregon – $46/month
- Austin, Texas – $48/month
- New York, New York – $52/month
Note: Sample, average prices for a healthy, three year-old Affenpinscher, $10k annual limit, 80% reimbursement and $200 deductible.